You will love these easy and healthy desserts from MasterChef Pankaj Bhadouria
If desserts really give you superpowers, you’ll love these quick, easy, and healthy treats.
This can be a challenge if you love desserts but also want to be healthy. Master Chef Pankaj Bhadouria to the rescue! In Bajaj Electricals Limited presents no. 1 Swaad Health Anusaar, his online video series, Pankaj shares tips and tricks for preparing master-level dishes from the comfort of your home.
These homemade desserts will not only satisfy your sweet cravings but will also lift your mood. They’re simple to make (you can easily make them for your kids during summer vacation) but also impressive enough to serve guests.
Chocolate, Walnut and Date Laddoos
Preparation time: 20 minutes
250g deseeded dates
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
¼ cup walnuts
¼ cup cashews
¼ cup almonds
¼ cup pistachios
¼ cup poppy seeds
1 teaspoon desi ghee
- Microwave the seeded dates for 30 to 40 seconds to soften them. Blend them in a blender-grinder until you get a coarse paste.
- Add the cocoa powder and mix again to obtain a smoother paste.
- Dry toast the walnuts, cashews, almonds and pistachios over medium heat. Dry roasting improves the flavor and crunch of the nuts. Remove from the heat and allow the nuts to cool completely. Roughly chop them.
- Dry toast the poppy seeds separately, remove from the heat and let cool. Put aside.
- Heat the date and cocoa paste in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the desi ghee and cook the mixture for two minutes until it softens. Add the chopped nuts to it. Remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool.
- When the mixture is completely cooled, knead it well. Apply some oil to your palms and make laddoos from the mixture. Roll them in dry-roasted poppy seeds and serve.
Baked Coconut Barfi Rava
Preparation time: 60 minutes
Yield: 16 to 20 pieces
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of yogurt
1½ cups rava
½ cup of milk
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup wheat flour
½ cup desi ghee
Sugar syrup, to coat
Rose petals, coarsely chopped almonds and pistachios, to garnish
- Preheat your OTG to 160°C.
- Grind the sugar in a good blender-grinder.
- Add the yogurt and ground sugar to a bowl and whisk well until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Add the rava, milk and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Add grated coconut and wheat flour to the mixture and gently fold them in. Too much beating could make your barfi difficult.
- Add ghee and fold again.
- Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes so that rava absorbs all the liquid.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper. Brush it with a little oil.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the entire tray and place the tray in the preheated oven. Bake for 40 minutes at 160°C. The mixture turns golden when cooked.
- Remove the cooked barfi from the OTC and coat it with the sugar syrup while it is still hot. Sprinkle with rose petals, almonds and pistachios and leave to cool. Cut into squares to serve.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8 pieces
1 cup all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup of yogurt
¾ cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
¼ cup oil
1½ cup grated carrots
Sequins, to decorate
For the frosting:
1 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Food coloring of your choice
- Preheat the OTG to 180°C.
- Sift the dry ingredients – flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder – into a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the yogurt and powdered sugar to form a smooth paste. Add the vanilla essence and mix again.
- Gently fold these wet ingredients into the dry ingredients
- Add the oil and mix well.
- Add the grated carrot and mix well to obtain a paste.
- Butter a cupcake mold and pour the batter into each cup.
- Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes at 180°C. Take the baked cupcakes out of the oven and let them cool.
- To prepare the frosting, place the butter in a mixing bowl, and add the powdered sugar in increments, beating well after each addition until soft, smooth and creamy. Add vanilla essence and food coloring of your choice and mix well again. Place the frosting mixture in a piping bag with the nozzle of your choice. Put aside.
- Unmold the cupcakes after they have cooled and frost them decoratively, adding sprinkles, if desired.
Images: Bajaj Electricals Limited
Also see: Smart Substitutes: 4 Calcium-Rich Non-Dairy Foods