Work That Speaks: Top 10 Clutter Cutters of 2021
From a long list of 57 campaigns, we focus on 10 that raised the advertising bar in the category in 2021, while building the brand and getting its message across.
By Gokul Krishnamoorthy
It’s an almost impossible task to create a “Top 10” of the year that the whole universe will agree on. Nevertheless, we try, in the belief that there deserves to be a pedestal for the best of the best, based on certain parameters which, even unstated, would be obvious to a trained eye.
But first, kudos to those who made the long list. And here are the brands that made it to this list from which the “Top 10” was selected:
1. Speak G – G for genius
2. Laadli (People First) – WFH Harassment
3. Tata Sky – Lohri
4. Byju’s – From parents to partners
5. Aisle – One By Two – Designed For Indian Romance
6. Dove – Stop the beauty test
7. Surf Excel – Rang Achche Hain (Holi)
8. Cadbury Silk – How far will you go for love? (Valentine’s day)
9. Unacademy – Teach Them Young
10. Tanishq – When It Rings True
11. Facebook – Kaju, Rizwan
12. TrueCaller – Shabd – #ItsNotOkay
13. Vi – #SpeedSeBadho
14. PhonePe – Best for #JustPhonePe
15. Upstox – Karke Toh Dekho
16. JustDial – India Ka B2B Marketplace
17. Bison Panel – From Home Boats to Home Cabinets
18. LivSpace – Don’t try this at home
19. Taj Mahal – Fursat Wali Chai
20. CRED – Great for Good
21. Bhima – Pure as love
22. Cadbury Dairy Milk – Say Thank You
23. TVS EuroGrip – For a country full of turns
24. Fogg – The Elephant in the Room
25. P&G Shiksha – Munni
26. The Pink Foundry – Your skin is stronger than you think
27. Tanishq – Small Big Moments
28. Zee5 – Stories
29. Lenovo Ideapad – Bilkul Dost Jaisa
30. JSW – #RuknaNahinHai (2021)
31. DisneyPlus Hotstar – Gogo is back
32. Glow & Lovely – Post-Olympic Film
33. Malabar Gold – Brides of India
34. HDFC Mutual Fund – Barni Se Azadi
35. Cultfit – Fitness is not an option
36. Amazon – Raksha Bandhan (2021)
37. CEAT Securadrive – Baraat, Cricket, Delivery
38. Ambuja Cement – Deewaar 2
39. Cadbury Dairy Milk – Good Luck Girls
40. BPL – Merry Little Things
41. Mahindra Furio – Double Guarantee
42. Tata Cliq – Every relationship is a gift
43. Instagram – We’re Doing
44. Dream11 – #DreamBig
45. Groww – Yeh Sabka Hai Market
46. Swiggy Instamart – Chocolates, Tea, Soap
47. HP – Diye Se Diya Jalao
48. Tanishq – Marriage Conversations
49. Cool Center – Pardah
50. Godrej Properties – Daily Joys
51. PaisaBazaar – The Sweet Sound of Wood
52. Campus Shoes – What’s your move?
53. PolicyBazaar – Zindagi Ka U-turn
54. Vedantu – Proud of You
55. McDonald’s – Eatqual
56. Winkies – A Different Christmas
57. Liquid Vim – Nazariya Badlo
Now, the purpose of posting the longlist is not to tease or maximize traffic. This explains why it was not featured as a separate story. The reason we feel the need to post the long list is that with a different set of goals, maybe the top 10 that would appear would be different.
So how did we come to the long list, you ask? Let’s start at the beginning.
ClutterCutters.in publishes a weekly “Work That Speaks” ad review column, selecting mainstream work that stands out and helps take advertising in the category up a notch or more. How does a job elevate category publicity? Raising the bar, changing the goalpost (for good), finding a wider goal, or even zigzagging for flavor and favor when the world zags. By making category codes better, doing them differently, or successfully rewriting them.
From these weekly reviews, a monthly top 10 selects even fewer campaigns based on the above metrics, digging deeper into strength of strategic thinking, originality, creative manifestation and quality of execution – in that order .
Of those who made it to the Monthly Top 10 Clutter Cutters from January to December 2021, came the said long list, comparing work over several months to see which ones really stood out. It took a few weeks of thinking and a lot of stress before we could focus on the top 10.
From the long list, in our opinion, these are the top 10 – clutter cutters that have defined the past year.
#10 Cultfit – Fitness is not an option
#10 LivSpace – Don’t try this at home
#9 Tata Cliq – Every relationship is a gift
#8 Cadbury Dairy Milk – Good Luck Girls
#7 Unacademy – Teach Them Young
#6 Dove – Stop the beauty test
#5 Tanishq – When It Rings True
#4 CRED – Best for Good
#3 PV – Diye Se Diya Jalao
#2 Byju’s – From parents to partners
#1 Bhima – Pure as love
Financial Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay up to date with the latest Biz news and updates.