TCHO Chocolate obtains B Corp certification
This B Corp certification is tangible proof of our commitment to all aspects of sustainability.
BERKELEY, Calif. (PRWEB)
September 27, 2021
TCHO chocolate is now recognized as a B Corp Certified through its sustainability efforts through the TCHO Source program and its work to improve the lives of its workers, customers, suppliers and the local community. B Corp’s rigorous certification process brings credible, meticulous and transparent standards to TCHO’s long-standing procurement practices, as well as a new way to measure the company’s social and environmental impact. On average, companies that pass the assessment receive a score of 50.9, and only one in three applicants actually receives recognition on their first attempt. This initial certification is part of TCHO’s ongoing goal of setting higher standards for itself and the chocolate community.
“While many people are already aware of TCHO’s long-standing work with cocoa farmers, agronomists and cocoa research institutes, this B Corp certification is tangible proof of our commitment to all aspects of cocoa production. durability. I am very proud of TCHO’s commitment to being a great employer and implementing sustainable practices at our plant in Berkeley, ”said Laura Sweitzer, Director of TCHO Source. “We will continue to challenge ourselves in the years to come to innovate and improve all facets of our business. “
Becoming a certified B company is not an easy task. With a qualifying score of 82.2, this initial certification is part of TCHO’s ongoing goal to set higher standards for itself and the chocolate community. TCHO’s work in reputable procurement and community development was among the many attributes that justified its qualification. Below is more information on TCHO’s notable work on the five B Corp ranked categories:
- GOVERNANCE – As a Certified B Company, TCHO has signed a Declaration of Interdependence, holding them accountable for fulfilling their commitment as model business leaders in their industry and aspiring to “do no harm and benefit all”.
- WORKERS – Despite the many challenges posed by the pandemic in 2020, TCHO has kept each of its employees full time. Since the founding of the company, TCHO has had a high retention rate and many permanent employees. It does this by paying well above the minimum wage and offering a range of benefits to workers.
- COMMUNITY – Many of the cocoa suppliers that TCHO sources today have been with the company since its inception, such as the ACOPAGRO cooperative in Juanjui, Peru, with which TCHO has worked for over 13 years. In 2009, TCHO installed a Flavor Lab at the cooperative to better support the relationship and improve production. Most of the suppliers are small family farmers whom TCHO has supported through long-standing relationships, educational opportunities, and financial aid in exchange for world-class cocoa. To date, every single source of cocoa is visited directly by members of the TCHO team to keep the relationship strong and work together on innovative solutions to the biggest challenges of the cocoa industry.
In addition, the company donates $ 10,000 per year to the African Cocoa Initiative II, a five-year initiative focused on building sustainable cocoa supply chains in West Africa.
- ENVIRONMENT – TCHO chocolate is Fair Trade Certified and USDA Organic Certified. As a company, it has prioritized not only sourcing individual organic ingredients, but also making its fully organic chocolate bars, where possible. TCHO is also heavily involved in intercropping, reforestation and biodiversity efforts. Additionally, TCHO used the B Corp process to launch a tracking system to calculate its carbon footprint as a benchmark for improvements in the years to come.
- CUSTOMERS – TCHO prides itself on excellent customer service, always having real people on hand to speak to customers if there is a problem or if customers want to share their feedback. However, the company’s work with customers extends to the culinary community as well. Through the TCHO Pro program, TCHO identifies, promotes and invests in chef partnerships with a variety of creative minds across the industry. The result is an ever-growing collection of content developed to inspire chocolate lovers around the world.
About B Lab
B Lab is a non-profit organization serving a global movement of people using business as a force for good. B Lab initiatives include B Corp certification, administration of B impact management software and programs, and advocacy for governance structures such as the benefit company. B Lab’s vision is that of an inclusive, equitable and regenerative economic system for all and for the planet. To date, there are over 3,000 B Corps certified in 150 industries and 70 countries, and over 70,000 companies are using B impact assessment. Visit bcorporation.net for more information.
Founded in 2008, TCHO Chocolate makes award-winning and imaginative chocolate by working directly with cocoa farmers in flavor labs around the world to grow better, more consistent cocoa beans to create authentic artisan chocolate to inspire consumers. chefs, amateur bakers and chocolate lovers from all over the world. . Like wine or coffee, the flavors inherent in cocoa vary depending on the terroir where it is grown, as well as key processes, such as fermentation or roasting, that influence flavor development.
Since not all cocoas are created equal, TCHO has created TCHO Source, a one-of-a-kind sourcing and education partnership with farmers, cooperatives and agronomists around the world. By installing TCHO Flavor Labs in major cocoa production sites, creating standards for sensory analysis of cocoa for the industry, organizing sensory training, developing standardized fermentation and drying processes, improving the infrastructure and by sharing information in the cocoa world, TCHO has turned its suppliers into co-creators. From there, TCHO hand-selects each ingredient used to make its award-winning chocolates for an unforgettable experience from the first glance to the last bite.
TCHO’s professional line is used by top chefs across the country and includes TCHO Pro couverture, Drinking Chocolate, Cocoa Powder, and Roasted Cocoa Nibs. From 2021, TCHO improved its position as an exemplary chocolatier by becoming officially SQF certified, a rigorous food safety standard recognized worldwide and administered by the Safe Quality Food Institute. TCHO products are made in Berkeley, California. To learn more about TCHO, visit tcho.com.
Share the article on social media or by email: