Idaho Today: Tasty Food – Angie’s Vampire Pie
- 24 whole chocolate sandwich cookies (eg Oreos, etc.)
- 1-2 tbsp. special dark cocoa powder (Dutch), optional
- ¼ tsp. melted butter
- 1 ea. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 bed. heavy whipping cream (divided: ½ cup and 1 ½ cups)
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ¾ c. Granulated sugar
- 1 TABLESPOON. vanilla
- ½ tsp. sour cream
- 1 21 oz. can “more fruit” cherry pie filling
1. Preheat the oven to 375°.
2. Crust: In a food processor, process whole chocolate cookies (do not remove topping) until they reach a fine, even crumb. Note: If you are using cocoa powder, now is the time to add it. Mix it several times in the breadcrumbs before adding the butter. (If you choose to use it, be sure to use dark cocoa powder – its purpose is to darken the crust to an almost black color. Regular cocoa powder will not have this effect.) Drizzle with melted butter and beat a few more times until crumbs are thoroughly moistened.
3. Pour the crumbs into a pie dish and, using the back of a flat cup, measuring cup, etc., press the crumbs into an even layer on the bottom of the dish, then use your fingers , shape and press them up. sides of the shell.
4. At this point, you can put the formed shell in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to harden, or, as I like to do (this will help keep its shape MUCH longer), bake in a preheated oven for ten minutes , then leave to cool.
5. Ganache: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir ½ tsp. heavy cream and chocolate chips, until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth. Pour the ganache into the cooled pie shell and return to the fridge for about 30 minutes, or until the chocolate is firm.
6. Cream Cheese Filling: In a large mixing bowl, whisk 1 ½ tsp. thick cream until stiff peaks form. Transfer whipped cream to another bowl; stay cold.
7. In the same mixing bowl (no need to clean up), add the softened cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar, and whisk on high speed until the cream cheese is completely smooth/it no more lumps left. Scrape bowl, whisk once more to make sure texture is smooth.
8. Add sour cream and a dollop of whipped cream to the cream cheese mixture and mix well with a spatula until the mixture has softened. Then add the remaining whipped cream and slowly stir in until well blended. (You’re going for a chewy, happy texture here.)
9. Spread the cream cheese filling over the cooled ganache layer, then smooth the top. Let set in the refrigerator for at least four hours, or until firm/set.
10. To finish: Now you can either fill the whole pie with the cherry pie filling and serve, or cut into individual pieces and pour the cherry filling over each piece…which is the vampires favorite method…. nothing says blood like a gooey cherry pie filling. Garnish with fake vampire fangs and/or chocolate bats and serve, preferably with bad vampire jokes.