Do you like hot chocolate? Know your calories and how healthy this drink is, tips to make it healthier
Do you like hot chocolate? Know the calories and how healthy this drink is, tips to make it healthier | Photo credit: iStock Images
- Hot chocolate is one of the most popular winter drinks
- Whether with or without marshmallows, hot chocolate can be enjoyed anytime, anywhere
- Have you ever wondered how healthy this drink is?
New Delhi: Do you like chocolates? If so, then winters must be a fun time for you, as the experience of enjoying a cup of hot chocolate is exponentially enhanced in colder weather. Chocolate milk, commonly known as hot chocolate, is a popular drink among people of all age groups across the world. The chocolatey and creamy flavor combined with the warmth of milk makes it a perfect winter drink. But have you ever wondered how healthy this drink is?
Hot Chocolate – Is It Healthy?
According to the USDA, 1 cup of homemade hot chocolate contains approximately 192 calories. Its average nutritional values are as follows:
Advantages : Here’s how hot chocolate can benefit the body:
- Hot chocolate is often considered a type of comfort food, and the presence of antioxidants supports mood-boosting properties.
- Due to the presence of cocoa, which is rich in antioxidants and polyphenols, hot chocolate may contain cholesterol and hypotensive properties.
- Rich in antioxidants, hot chocolate can support healthy skin.
Disadvantages: Here’s how hot chocolate can harm the body:
- It may contain an excessive amount of sugar which can be harmful as it can lead to unwanted weight gain, unhealthy increases in blood sugar levels, tooth decay etc.
- Depending on the preparation, hot chocolate can be high in calories, which can lead to weight gain.
- Consumption of processed foods is considered unhealthy for overall health. Due to the availability, the risk of using processed chocolate as an ingredient also increases significantly.
The safety of hot chocolate is highly dependent on its preparation and the ingredients used. When prepared the right way, the benefits of this drink can outweigh the risks, making it a healthy drink.
Hot Chocolate – How to Make a Healthy Cup
Here are some tips that can help you make a healthy cup of hot chocolate:
- Use dark chocolate as an ingredient to get the most nutritional benefits from chocolate.
- Avoid using too much sugar when making hot chocolate. You can go for healthier alternatives like maple syrup and honey.
- Go for healthier alternatives to milk like almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, etc.
- Use unsweetened cocoa for the preparation.
- To make the hot chocolate rock, avoid using additives and use vanilla extract instead.
Disclaimer: The tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or dietitian before starting a fitness program or making any changes to your diet.