Dietitian’s dish: Are you salty or sweet? -Austin Daily Herald
By Kristina Swanson
Whether you prefer salty or sweet foods, overcome your cravings with healthier ideas from a nutrition expert. Since food is such a critical need, if we don’t meet that need, our body (or mind) will send us signals to make us eat or satisfy that need until it’s met. These signals may present as “food cravings”, a lack of control over food, a magnetic attraction to food, a feeling that we have “cheated” or given in to temptation. We often just need food!
By fueling your body throughout the day and choosing foods from the five food groups, you can get the nutrients needed to satisfy your hunger. Generally, most people feel nourished when eating within an hour of waking up, staying hydrated throughout the day with water and eating at least three meals spread throughout the day . Use this as a guideline to discover which eating pattern and combination of foods works best for you to satisfy your hunger and help you be more in tune with your hunger and satiety cues.
Combining choices high in protein and fiber will help you stay full, feel satisfied, and have no food on your mind 24/7. Channel your inner health warrior and stave off cravings with these Hy-Vee Dietitian Approved Choices:
• Harvest Snaps Lightly Salted Green Pea Chips: It’s the real deal when it comes to a vegetarian-inspired snack. With green peas as the first ingredient, these crisps will leave you pleasantly full and not too thirsty thanks to their low sodium content!
• Off the Path Chickpea Veggie Chips Eaten: Deliciously different from fries and filled with rice, chickpeas, peas and purple sweet potatoes. Discover a tasty new version of real vegetables!
• Catalina Crunch Mix Creamy Ranch Snack Mix: Made with the same delicious, crunchy taste as your favorite party mix, with protein and fiber from ingredients like mixed nuts, chickpea pretzels and Catalina Crunch cereal.
• Boom Chicka Pop Sweet and Salty Boiled Corn: Packed with whole grains, no guilt, and made with real, simple ingredients you know how to pronounce.
• Fuel for Fire Protein Smoothie: An easy-to-carry smoothie pouch that contains all 9 essential amino acids and more protein than an egg.
• Skinny almonds dipped in dark chocolate and cocoa: Nutrient-rich almonds dipped in a thin layer of dark chocolate versus a thick, waxy coating. More nuts than chocolate equals much less sugar, much more delicious.
Find these salty and sweet foods available in-store at your local Hy-Vee HealthMarket, Aisles Online or at www.WholeLotta.com.
Fuel up and refuel with this sweet recipe below that is deliciously grainy!
For 16 people
all you need
• 1 cup Hy-Vee 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
• 1 cup natural creamy peanut butter
• 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
• 4 cups corn chex cereal
• 4 cups Rice Chex cereal
• 1¼ cup Performance Inspired Vanilla Bean Whey Protein Powder
• ¼ cup powdered sugar
Everything you do
1. Melt chocolate chips, peanut butter and coconut oil in large microwave-safe bowl, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth.
2. Place corn and rice cereal in a large gallon-sized resealable plastic bag or container. Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal. Toss gently until evenly coated.
3. Open bag and add protein powder and powdered sugar. Stir gently until all the cereal is coated. Add additional powdered sugar if desired for a more traditional “puppy chow” look.
4. Cover and refrigerate until chilled before serving.
Recipe source: www.Hy-Vee.com
This information does not constitute medical advice. Please consult a healthcare professional for personalized advice.