Country cuisine: banana bread from KD
This recipe was recently submitted by KD from Garden Valley. Using the basic recipe and selecting one or more of the suggested additions, you can make this banana bread multiple times and end up with a different, tasty bread every time. It is convenient to have so many options to choose from, using just one recipe.
KD Banana Bread
2 large, very ripe (black) bananas, mashed
1-1 / 2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x5x3 loaf pan with butter or margarine.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs and applesauce. Add the mashed bananas and whisk until all the ingredients are combined.
4. With a wooden spoon, add the flour, baking soda and salt; mix well.
5. Add one or more of the following:
– 1-1 / 2 cups of mashed apricots instead of bananas
– 1 cup chopped nuts or pecans
– 1 cup of raisins
– 1-1 / 2 cups dried cranberries
– 1 cup of chocolate chips
– 1 cup of coconut
– 2 tablespoons of Hershey’s cocoa powder
6. Pour into a loaf pan. Bake at 325 for 60-65 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. When the bread has cooled, mix it and frost it with the following:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/8 cup orange juice
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Questions for the cook
LK from Greenwood asks:
Q: For those of us who aren’t very familiar with Mexican recipes, what is huevos rancheros?
A: Huevos rancheros means “rancher’s eggs” in Spanish, although the most common translation is “country eggs” or “in the country”. Huevos rancheros consists of lightly fried or charred corn or flour tortillas, topped with fried eggs, then a layer of salsa. Additions to this staple dish can include sausage, black or refried beans, guacamole or avocado slices, and cilantro as a garnish.
A useful tip
– Add some fresh lemon juice to the tuna to add zest and flavor to the tuna sandwiches.
– Use thinly sliced cucumbers soaked in wine or balsamic vinegar, with a little black pepper added, in a sandwich instead of tomatoes for a change. Soak cucumbers for an hour or two before using.